STARR County Youth Fair
Academic Rodeo Essay Contest
Grades 2nd – 5th
1. Each entrant must hand write his or her essay during the scheduled contest time.
2. Each entrant may enter only one essay.
3. Entrant’s number must be clearly marked on the upper right hand corner of the paper.
4. Entrant may not take any pre-written notes into the contest room.
5. The Essay topics per grade level will be provided should the participant want to think out or research the topic prior to the
contest day, however, no pre-written materials will be allowed in the contest room.
6. Champion and Reserve Champion Essays will be on display in the Academic Rodeo Show Case for the duration of the
fair. Essays must be claimed on Sunday, March 4 th between the hours of 10:30 A.M. - 12:00 P.M. Any essays not claimed
by 12:00 P.M. on Sunday, March 4 th become the sole property of the Starr County Fair Association. Class Champion and
Reserve Class Champion may provide a 4x5 photo to be on display with their essay for the duration of the fair.
7. Essay Length:
2nd – 3rd Grades: 150 Words or less
4th – 5th Grades: 200 Words or less
8. Categories for Competition:
For each of the following grades, students will compete only with other students in that grade category. The
categories are 2nd – 3rd , 4th – 5th
9. Essay Topics:
Papers will be judged on correct English usage, grammar, handwriting and how well the essay topic is answered.